Friday, April 9, 2010

Whole Grain Pancakes






I have been slowly and steadily changing the way we eat. The All American diet is creating a lot of health problems in this country. With heart disease in the family, Im determined to do all I can to better our chances of escaping it.I'm hoping the kids will embrace healthy eating as well and choose it for themselves as adults. Lately my goal has been to incorporate more whole grains into our everyday diet. I came across a recipe from King Aurthur Flour for a homemade whole grain pancake mix. It was easy and they came out really well. I thought it might be worth sharing-- so here it is.

Homemade Whole Grain Pancake Mix
4 C whole wheat flour ( I recently quit using hard red and went to using hard white wheat-- I will never go back! We love it!)
1 C white flour ( if you use hard white wheat, you can use it in place of the white flour)
3 1/2 C old fashioned oats ( whirl them in the blender until powdered)
3 TB sugar
3 TB baking powder
1 Tb salt
1 Tb Baking soda
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. With a mixer slowly incorporate:
1 C canola oil

When its done the mixture will resemble cornmeal. Store in an airtight container.
To use mix:
combine
1 C mix
1 C buttermilk
1 egg
~ allow to sit for 20 minutes, then bake as usual on a hot griddle.

1 comment: