Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Utahns do what?




When I first moved to Utah from The Motherland, I was shocked for many reasons. To name a few:

1. Did you know that Utahns must use unique and special ways to ask one another on dates? Things like filling balloons with whipped cream that you have to pop to find out who asked you, or breaking into someone's room, destroying it, and leaving the invitation on top of the rubble, are common. I had a confusing conversation with my new roommates--

"Wow! Your boyfriend is SOOO CUTE!"
"I know!! hee hee hee giggle giggle giggle"
"How did he ask you on your first date?"
"huh?"
**speaking slower this time so I will understand**-- "How. did. he. ask. you. on. your. first. date?"
"He called me on the phone and said -- Would you like to go out this weekend? "
**
the sound of crickets chirping..**
"Huh??"

2.
Did you know the One True Way to eat french fries is to dip them in a concoction called Fry sauce? Did you know Fry sauce is made from mixing mayo and ketchup? Confused and horrified? I was too.

3. Did you know you no longer have to be embarrassed if you shop at the thrift store? You can go down with your date, spend $5 on vintage attire then paint the town! Thumbs up on this one!

4. Did you know concrete can be warm?! There is a thing called The Sun here that warms the ground. You can come in contact with cement on your bare feet and not get frostbitten!

5. My favorite Utah custom! Did you know-- it is a BLAST to sit your hind end on a block of ice and send yourself sliding down a hill? I know-- it sounds ridiculous-- but you can go really fast, its super fun, and you dont have to go hide in the car and drink hot chocolate every 15 minutes!

6. Did you know-- it can be warm and dark at the same time? The Sun goes down at night in the summer! Its still warm though, and there are no mosquitoes-- you can sit outside and watch the sunset sans jacket and bug dope. Downside-- you have to bring a lantern when you go camping.

4 comments:

  1. Ha! I love creative dating! Must be the Utahn in me.

    I also will not eat fries with ketchup--it has to be fry sauce or better. ;)

    Did you know that when it gets REALLY hot--you can actually fry an egg on the cement. True story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you enjoy the glimpse of Mt Timanogas in the distance behind Rachel?

    ReplyDelete